Winter fire safety
Baby it’s cold outside. Well, not really if you’re experiencing the above seasonal warm temperatures here in Saskatoon. But sorry to break the bad news. The cold will be coming. It’s unavoidable. During the winter months, the chance of a residential house fire increases as we try to stay warm. There are things that we can do as homeowners to avoid a fire in the home. Ensure you take some time for some simple precautions.
- Keep space heaters away from beds, bedding, linen, curtains, or anything else that’s flammable. They should also never be kept where children or pets could knock them over while in use.
- Have your fireplace inspected by a professional every year and cleaned if necessary to prevent a flash fire in the chimney. Have any cracks in the chimney repaired and ensure they are in good condition and free of debris.
- If your smoke detectors are not hard wired in the house, ensure you replace the batteries. They should be installed on every level of the home and outside of every sleeping area.
- Candles are commonplace this time of year and even though they make the season bright burning candles should never be left unattended. Also ensure you place them away from anything flammable or where children can reach them.
- Real Christmas trees should be kept in a water-filled stand and refilled daily to avoid a dangerously dried out tree hazard.
- Check holiday lights for fraying or broken wires and plugs. Be careful you don’t overload the circuits and ensure you turn them off before going to bed and leaving the house.
- Most importantly, have an escape plan. This is one of the most important measures to prevent a death in a fire. Visit www.fireplan.ca/fire-escape-plan for detailed information on how to make a plan. And don’t forget to teach all family members how to dial 911 in case of a fire or other emergency.
Thanks to Bradly George from Saskatoon’s Pillar to Post home inspection company for providing the tips on fire safety. This is a great company and one I highly recommend for your home inspection needs.
Here’s to you and wishing you all a merry and safe holiday season.
Saskatoon real estate agent
Century 21 Fusion